Travis Scott’s offer to cover burial costs for those killed at Astroworld has been rejected by the festival’s youngest victim.
The family of 9-year-old Ezra Blount has declined the rapper’s offer to cover his funeral expenses. Blount was allegedly trampled at the Houston concert, and later died from his injuries. In a letter obtained by Rolling Stone, the family’s attorney turned down the offer while likening Ezra’s death to “a faucet of unimaginable pain that has no off handle.”
“Your client’s offer is declined. I have no doubt Mr. Scott feels remorse. His journey ahead will be painful. He must face and hopefully see that he bears some of the responsibility for this tragedy,” wrote Blount family lawyer Bob Hilliard.
“There may be, and I hope there is, redemption and growth for him on the other side of what this painful process will be — and perhaps one day, once time allows some healing for the victims and acceptance of responsibility by Mr. Scott and others, Treston and Mr. Scott might meet, as there is also healing in that,” Hilliard added.
Ezra was laid to rest on Nov. 23 at a funeral in Texas. His family has filed suit against Travis and Live Nation, accusing them of gross negligence.
Hilliard said Scott’s camp previously reached out about setting up an in-person meeting. “We were pretty firm. With all due respect, no. This isn’t a photo-op story here. This is a ‘who’s responsible and why’ type of investigation. And he’s on the short list,” Hilliard said of Scott.
The rejection came after Travis’ attorney, Daniel Petrocelli—who represented Ron Goldman’s family in the wrongful death lawsuit against O.J. Simpson—reached out on behalf of his client.
“Travis is devastated by the tragedy that occurred at the Astroworld Festival and grieves for the families whose loved ones died or were injured. Travis is committed to doing his part to help the families who have suffered and begin the long process of healing in the Houston community. Toward that end, Travis would like to pay for the funeral expenses for Mr. Blount’s son,” Petrocelli wrote.
Ezra was being carried on the shoulders of his father, Treston Blount, when the two became trapped in the deadly crowd surge that started shortly after Travis took the stage during the Nov. 5 festival, which claimed the lives of 10 people and injured hundreds more.
In the wake of the tragedy, Megan Thee Stallion has canceled a Friday concert in her hometown out of respect for the victims.
“Out of respect for the lives lost in Houston earlier this month, I have decided to cancel my show at 713 Music Hall on Dec 3,” she said in a statement to the Houston Chronicle. “Houston is still healing and it’s important that our community be given the appropriate time to grieve. My heart goes out to all the families that are suffering during this difficult time.”