Tory Lanez Fails to Reach Plea Deal in Megan Thee Stallion Assault Case
Written by on November 3, 2021
Tory Lanez’s felony assault case will proceed after he failed to reach a plea deal.
Despite attempts to resolve the case, the Canadian rapper will head to court to face live testimony next month alleging he shot Megan Thee Stallion.
According to Rolling Stone, Lanez’ defense lawyer Shawn Holley appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom Wednesday and agreed to return with her client on Dec. 14 for his preliminary hearing, which would be necessary to send the case to trial.
Last month, prosecutors said Lanez was in “meaningful discussions” to strike a deal that could avoid a preliminary hearing with witnesses. However, Holley said her client’s plea of not guilty “stands.”
“As in every case, the lawyers for the parties discuss the possibility of resolving the case. This case is no different. That said, our position as to what did and did not happen in this matter remains unchanged,” she told Rolling Stone.
Lanez was charged with felony assault for allegedly shooting the “Savage” rapper in the foot with a semiautomatic gun after they left a party in the Hollywood Hills on July 12. He has pleaded not guilty and is out of custody on $250,000 bail. He faces up to 22 years and eight months in prison if convicted.
In August, a judge increased his bail from $190,000 to $250,000 for violating a protective order when he came within 100 yards of Megan at Rolling Loud Miami. According to prosecutors, Lanez “attempted to rush the stage” while Megan was performing before appearing onstage with DaBaby at the festival.
Ahead of his preliminary hearing, Tory will release his new album, Alone at Prom, on Dec. 1. He is also slated to perform three concerts in the U.K.