Less than two months after his passing, Shock G’s cause of death has been revealed.
According to TMZ, the 57-year-old Digital Underground frontman died from an accidental overdose. A deadly mix of fentanyl, ethanol (alcohol), and methamphetamine was found in his body, says a rep for the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner.
Shock G, born Gregory Edward Jacobs, was found unresponsive in his Tampa hotel room on April 22. He was last seen the day before he died, when a hotel manager noticed him outside the building. The manager became worried after Shock missed checkout time and immediately called 911.
Digital Underground had a string of hits in the early 1990s, including “The Humpty Dance.” The group also introduced the world to Tupac Shakur, who was working as a dancer and roadie for the group before he was featured on their 1991 EP This Is an EP Release. Shock G co-produced Tupac’s 1991 debut album 2Pacalypse Now, and appeared on 1993’s “I Get Around.”
He was also an influential producer, working with Dr. Dre, Prince, Bobby Brown, and George Clinton.
A funeral for the rap icon was held May 1, while his peers mourned the loss on social media. Ice Cube called Shock G a “true Bay Area original,” while Bootsy Collins said he “helped keep P Funk Alive!”