Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez Officially End Engagement
Written by on April 15, 2021
Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez are officially calling it quits.
The superstar couple, who started dating in 2017, has ended their two-year engagement and will remain friends, making the announcement in a joint statement to “Today.”
“We have realized we are better as friends and look forward to remaining so,” they said. “We will continue to work together and support each other on our shared businesses and projects. We wish the best for each other and one another’s children. Out of respect for them, the only other comment we have to say is thank you to everyone who has sent kind words and support.”
The announcement comes a month after reports that Lopez, 51, and Rodriguez, 45, had split. However, they later said they “never officially broke up” and were “working through some things.”
J.Lo had been spending time in the Dominican Republic shooting a movie while A-Rod was in Miami. “It’s tough seeing each other especially with quarantining and COVID, but they want to try to stay together,” a source said at the time.
They once again sparked breakup rumors earlier this week after J.Lo shared a series of selfies from the set of her new movie, Shotgun Wedding, and her engagement ring was noticeably missing.
The couple got engaged in March 2019 after dating for two years. Rodriguez proposed during a romantic getaway to Baker’s Bay in the Bahamas. They had planned to get married last year, but had to delay the wedding twice due to the pandemic.
Just hours before officially announcing their split, A-Rod looked back on better days, posting a video featuring a photo of him and J.Lo while Coldplay’s “Fix You” played in the background. He tagged Lopez with a heart in the caption.